home to the best seafood in Darwin
Your one-stop shop for Real Australian: fresh or frozen fin-fish and crustacean suppliers, in Darwin
Carmel’s Seafood Market, formerly the
Darwin Fish Market, is a renowned local institution.
We opened our doors more than 15 years ago, frustrated that the only seafood options in town were predominantly imported or frozen. Today, we’re a multi- award-winning Darwin fish shop where you can buy seafood as it should be: fresh, local and sustainably caught.
We are the only seafood shop in Darwin that sells exclusively Australian seafood and 98% of our seafood is ocean caught right here in the pristine waters of the Top End.
We’re loved by locals for our Darwin mud crabs, barramundi and prawns (to name a few) and our Australian scallops, abalone and oysters. We’ll surprise you with ideas for using under-utilised species such as Tripetail and Blueline Emperor. See our range.
When you buy from us, you’re doing your part to protect the NT’s fish stocks and our clean, green pristine waters. We work closely with local fisherman and the fisheries department to source our seafood sustainably. Find out more about buying sustainable seafood.
We’re in the heart of Darwin’s professional fishing district and situated in the middle of the group of shops. Look for the table and chairs out front and our boat full of freshly caught fish, inside.
Tucked away on Fisherman’s Wharf
30 Francis Bay Drive
Darwin City NT 0810
OPEN 7 DAYS A WEEK
Want to grab a bite to eat while you’re here? Rachael’s Seafood Shack is on site and can cook up some fresh local seafood for you. Be sure to check when they’re open.
Monday – Friday: 9am – 5:30pm
Saturday & Sunday: 10am – 2pm
(excluding some Public Holidays)
Why visit Carmel’s Seafood Market?
Buy local and support local
Freshly caught in the Gulf of Carpentaria. We never sell imported seafood. We buy 98% of our seafood fresh off the boats of Darwin fishermen and the other 2% is exclusively shipped in from around Australian.
Know where your fish came from
Our products are labelled so you can see whether you’re buying wild-caught, farmed or from which State within Australia it has been sourced from.
Buy from those in the know
We’ve been on the Darwin fishing scene for more than 20 years. We can tell you what to buy, how to cook it and what to pair it with. View our Star Rating Seafood Guide.
Try before you buy and learn in-store
Because we want you to shop confidently, we can suggest how to cook up a storm. Or we can do a quick demo so you know how to cook your seafood at home.
Do your part to protect our oceans
Our seafood is sustainably sourced. Find out what this means and why it matters.
Buy more than just fish
Why not pick up some crocodile or barramundi paste, freshly made marinara mix, smoked barramundi, local sauces or even an oyster wheel for your barbecue?
Visiting Darwin? Carmel’s is a truly local experience
Pick up a seafood pack to cook at your Motel, have a yarn with our experts in store, or buy crocodile or barramundi dip and local sauces to give your friends back home a true taste of the Territory.
Take your seafood home or have it here
Our friends at Rachael’s Seafood Shack operate out of Carmel’s Seafood Market, so you can have your seafood cooked by a Masterchef contestanton site. Find out when Rachael’s Seafood Shack is open.
Buy Real Australian quality seafood
We are truly Territorian local and we give back to the community when possible. we support HPA for our uniforms, NT Food Bank with donated seafood food packs on a regular basis and we are proudly aligned with NT Seafood Council & the Outback Chef – Steve Sunk.
Proud to support Seniors, National Forces and Basic Cards.
We’re proud to have a multitude of awards for our work in the seafood industry. Here are the highlights:
|2018 Award||WINS – Certificate of Honor|
|2018 Award||Super Deeds Award: Tourism Top End|
|2017 Winner||NT Seafood Promotions Award:
Women’s Industry Network (WINSC)
|2015 Winner||NT Seafood Business Award|
|2014 Winner||Brolga NT Tourism Award
Excellence in Food Tourism
|2013 Winner||National Seafood Business (small) Award|
|2013 Winner||NT Seafood Business Award|
|2012 Winner||NT Seniors Business of Excellece Award|
|2011 Winner||NT Seafood Business Award|
|2010 Winner||NT RIDIC Women’s Award|
|2007 Winner||NT Seafood Industry Promotions
Inaugural NT Seafood Ball & Awards